At Passages, we grow our own staff. Most of our 160 staff were day campers, then developed their hard and soft skills through our Rock and River Master Program, Advance Camp and Overnight Camps. All of our Jedi Masters have joined our staff and are the best equipped to share their passions for kayaking and climbing with our campers. Our staff retention is better than 90% year after year.
Staff typically start as Counselors in Training or 'CITs' for ages 14-15, become Jr. Counselors at ages 16-17, and Counselors at age 18+. Our Jr. Counselors and Counselors are paid positions but CITs earn their keep for sure. Our CIT candidates fill-out their own job application, schedule an interview, receive a 10-page job description and participate in a second phone interview. All hired CITs partake in the same 3½ day training that the Junior Counselors and Counselors receive in addition to being trained in CPR and First Aid.
Applications are available at Peak Experiences year-round. Completed applications should be submitted between September 1st and December 15th (preferably). CIT candidates should be 14 years old before the first week they are scheduled to work (for example, some CITs are 13 at staff training, turn 14 in June and begin as a CIT in July).
Our staff members are remarkable and our CITs are no exception. This is a real job, with high expectations, on-going training and unending support. Campers who love our Day Camps think that Advance Camp and our Overnight Camps are even better. Joining the Passages Staff as a CIT blows all of it away!
Happiness is a by-product of achievement. We have the most fun!
Benefits of working for Passages Adventure Camp:
- Fun Summer Job - don’t have to be in an office
- Coolest job with kids plus mountain bikes, kayaks and climbing gear.
- Excellent wages for counselors
- Free lunch
- Get in shape
- Hot tan lines – rock that Chaco tan
- Tobin will serve as an incredible reference when you are forced to get a real job
- Free climbing membership at Peak Experiences for the summer, starting the 1st day of camp and ending the last day of camp. This does not cover Training Team or Pro-Team.
- Pro-Deals - discounts on gear and apparel
- Access to our boats and gear on the weekends. No trad gear though.
- Parties and socials! Ultimate Frisbee! Staff Prom! Staff Paddles! Staff Climb! Staff rides!
- Flexible summer schedule
- Great friends!